Blackboard notifications appear in your Activity Stream, email and the Blackboard Learn app. Change your notification settings so you don’t miss important course announcements and choose the types of notifications you receive and how they’re delivered to you.
Change how and when you get notifications
You can choose the types of notifications you receive from all your courses and how they’re delivered to you.
- Select your name to access your Profile page
- Select the options in Global Notification Settings.
- You can also change your notification settings from the Activity Stream – select the settings cog in the top right of the Activity Stream page.
Change your Email notifications
Announcements, and messages to students, will always be sent by email. Emails will be sent from the account BlackboardRobot and cannot be replied to.
- From your Profile page select the options in Global Notification Settings – email notifications.
- We recommend you select Email me straight away to make sure you are always up to date with course activity.
- If you select email me once a day, all notifications are collected into a daily update and sent at around 5 pm. Instructors can choose to send a course announcement immediately if the information is time critical. (Instructors – see this guide to announcements).
- Tick any other activities you would like sent to email.
- Select Save.
Change the activities which appear in your Blackboard Activity Steam.
Announcements, due dates, grades, and feedback always appear in your Activity Stream.
- From your Profile page select the options in Global Notification Settings – Stream notifications.
- The notification type headings can be expanded by selecting the down arrow.
- A green tick shows that the notification is enabled. A clear box shows that you will not receive notifications for this. A dash shows that some notifications of this type are enabled.
- Select Save.
Change your Push notifications
If you have the Blackboard mobile app installed, you can receive push notifications on your mobile device. You can manage which push notifications are sent from your Blackboard profile or from the app settings.
- From your Profile page select the options in Global Notification Settings – push notifications.
Hide a course to turn off notifications (not available for students on a course)
Non-student course users have the option to hide a course. This will hide the course from your list of courses and turn off all notifications from that course.
- From your Course page select the More options (three dots) menu for a course
- Select Hide course.
- Use the Filter menu to view courses Hidden from me.
Blackboard guides to notifications
This short video shows you how to change notification settings. Note – the University of Southampton does not use SMS messages with Blackboard, but you can use the Blackboard Learn app for push notifications to you mobile.