|Do not open Turnitin in multiple tabs or browser windows. Only use one browser tab to interact with Turnitin.|
How to comment on a specific part of a submission to Turnitin using the highlighter tool.
Access Control Panel
1. From your course’s Control Panel, expand the Course Tools section and click on Turnitin Assignments.
Locate Turnitin Assignment
2. Click on the name of the Turnitin Assignment in question.
Turnitin Assignment Inbox
3. You will be taken to the Assignment Inbox, where you should see a list of submissions made by students on the course. Click on the pencil icon to open a paper in the Feedback Studio view. If you have already entered a mark for a submission, this mark will be shown in place of the pencil icon.
4. Click and drag over the text you wish to highlight. You should see a popup containing 3 buttons. Click on the bubble comment icon in order to add a text comment. *Note that you no longer need to use the side panel to add comments to highlighted text – you should just use the little pop up menu.*
6. Type your comment into the text box. Note that if you want to you can change the colour of the highlighter. This can be useful to differentiate between different sections of text. Once you have entered your comment and chosen the highlighter colour, click away from the comment popup in order to save what you have written.
7. You should now see a blue comment icon along with your highlighted text, signifying that the comment has been added to the paper. Click on this icon to see your comment.
Add a QuickMark
8. If you want to, you can select further text in order to add further feedback. In the following example, rather than add a text comment, we will add a QuickMark. Select the text you wish to highlight by clicking and dragging. When you see the three buttons, click on the QuickMark icon. Note that you no longer need to use the side panel to add comments to highlighted text – you should just use the little pop up menu.
9. Select your desired QuickMark. The list of QuickMarks available will depend on which QuickMark set is currently selected. You can choose a different QuickMark set using the button in the top left of the QuickMark popup.
Add additional comments
11. If you click on your QuickMark, you can edit the highlighting colour, and add additional comments. Additional comments are useful if you want to provide some more tailored feedback for the student to sit alongside the standard QuickMark. Once you have added your additional comment, click away from the popup to save your changes.