Staff Guide – your guide to what is changing in Blackboard Navigation and actions staff and course instructors may need to take.
Why is Blackboard changing to ULTRA Navigation?
We know from staff and student feedback that it can be difficult to find your way around the original Blackboard platform. That’s why we’re implementing a new homepage from the latest version of Blackboard, called Blackboard Ultra Base Navigation. This will offer a more modern navigation, providing quick access to the most critical information from across all courses.
- The Ultra navigation menu has a modern intuitive design, making it more user-friendly.
- The new design is accessible and will re-size for different devices.
- Staff and students can access courses and key information quickly and easily.
What is on the new navigation menu?
You will be taken directly to the new Blackboard Institution Page where students can view key university announcements and access helpful information and resources, such as their timetable.
Identify at a glance which activities require your immediate attention with this curated list of what’s new, and what’s coming up.
A student’s Activity Stream will display University and course announcements, due dates and alerts about new marks and course activity.
Quickly navigate to your courses with the ability to search, filter, and favourite them. The layout and functions of courses will not change with this move to Ultra Navigation.
– Customise and filter your Courses List
- Organise your courses by List or Tile view.
- Search for courses and Filter to see courses you teach and hidden courses.
- All courses that you are enrolled on appear in the list of Current Courses. Use the drop-down meant at the top of the page to switch between groups of courses.
- Favourite courses (select the star icon) you visit regularly so they appear at the top of the Courses list.
For more information, see the Blackboard guide to finding your courses and editing the course view.
– Editing a course image, hiding courses and making courses available to students.
Staff can select the 3 dots on the right of the course title for more course display options:
– Navigating between Courses pages and Blackboard Navigation
- From the Courses page, select a course title to be taken to the course.
- If you follow a link to an item in a Blackboard Course, use the breadcrumb trail at the top of the page to return to the Blackboard course.
- Only use the blue X icon when you want to leave a course and return to the Blackboard Navigation page.
The Blackboard calendar will show key University dates, due dates for assignments set in Blackboard and events added by course Instructors. Assignments set outside of the Blackboard platform will not be added automatically, for example from eAssignment.
Timetables can be accessed via the link Blackboard Institution page.
For more information see the Blackboard guide to the Calendar.
The messages tool is not currently used at the University of Southampton. Instructors can send messages to students but students cannot reply or create their own messages. Messages will also get sent through to email.
Marks will show you the results of tests and assignments taken within a Blackboard course. Students should not rely on only these marks as the sole indicator of final grades. Ratified marks can be viewed on Banner Self-Service.
The assist area provides links to academic tools and support available to the University of Southampton students. Raise a ticket with ServiceLine if you would like a tool or services added to Assist.
Your Profile Page
Most information here is pulled in automatically from other systems and cannot be edited.
- You can update your preferred first name in Subscribe.
For more detailed information, see the Blackboard help guide to the Profile page.
Most Blackboard tools are accessed inside courses. Most users will not need to access these system tools.
- Staff Enroller -(Library staff only) Please see our guide Blackboard tool – Using the Library Staff Enroller.
Blackboard Ultra – what is next?
We are planning to run a project to fully upgrade our current version of Blackboard Original to Blackboard Ultra and more information will be shared in due course.