Staff guide: most Blackboard courses and enrolments are set up via the Banner student information system. See this guide if you want a custom Blackboard course not connected to Banner.
Do I need a custom course?
Custom (arbitrary) courses should only be requested if it is not possible to set up the course in the Banner student information system or if we do not have an automated process for course set-up and user enrolment.
If you have any questions please open a ticket with ServiceLine – include Blackboard in the ticket description.
I want a 22-23 version of an earlier custom (arbitrary) course.
- Please see the use cases below before requesting a new custom course. If there is a more automated solution available, it will be more efficient to run and better for the student experience.
I want to teach students enrolled on different module codes in a single “parent” Blackboard course.
For example, there are multiple Banner codes (CRNs ) for the same module or I want to teach closely related modules in one Blackboard course.
- Please follow this link for more information on how to merge enrolments into a single “parent” Blackboard course.
I have one group of students enrolled on multiple module codes, but I want to teach them via a single Blackboard course.
This use case is slightly tricky.
- If Banner module codes & titles can be organised to better reflect teaching and assessment this is the best solution.
- For now, choose a module to teach from and keep the others hidden. This is not ideal as it will cause issues with archiving and finding past assessments under the correct module code, and could cause issues with exporting grade centre data in the future.
- If you want the main teaching module to have a different name please contact ServiceLine and we can set this up in Blackboard.
- DO NOT request a custom course to deliver your teaching.
I want a Blackboard course to deliver a course outside the assessed curriculum.
For example, for study skills sessions, language skills or a special event for University students.
- You can request a Banner zero credit module for courses that fall outside the assessed curriculum; Blackboard course set-up and enrolment is then handled automatically via Banner. Contact your CQA office to request a compulsory or optional zero credit module.
I need students to have access to a module ahead of the academic year where it is delivered.
For example, for a field trip or dissertation preparation.
- Contact your CQA office as this can be set up as a zero credit module in the year ahead of the taught module, or as a Banner split module that will appear in both years.
I want a course to hold final assessments outside of the taught modules.
- All final assessments must be held in the Blackboard module course (or merged module course) associated with the Banner module. This is very important for student access, data transfer and archiving of submitted work.
I want an information course to hold general student information and communication.
For example, induction sessions, school or programme announcements, employability, events, general policy and assessment and guides….etc.
- You can use the link in this guide to request a Blackboard Programme Course to hold programme level information and communications. Students are auto-enrolled via programme codes and the course will appear under a separate heading on the Blackboard Home page. Please consult with your Deputy Head of School for education or the Programme Leader to coordinate the information in these sites or contact Blackboard support via ServiceLine for advice.
- If you would like a School or Department level Blackboard course please contact ServiceLine.
I want a course to test out ideas and practice skills.
- Follow this link to create a personal Sandbox course.
- If you need another Sandbox course as well as the personal Sandbox then follow this link to create a custom Blackboard course.
I want a course to deliver staff information and training.
- Follow this link to request a Custom (arbitrary Blackboard course). You can manually add users to the course but we can arrange an enrollment feed to add staff from your school or faculty.
This course will be displayed under the Term heading “Training courses”. Users will need to follow the link to all Courses from Blackboard Home to find the course.
I am holding an event for external users.
- You can follow this link to request a custom (arbitrary) Blackboard course for the event. You will need to request temporary University conference accounts for any external participants.
Do check with your faculty office, or the University events team, to see if they recommend an alternative platform such as Teams. iSolutions are currently looking at new solutions for delivering courses for external users.
Other users or not really sure?
- Please open a ServiceLine ticket if you have any questions. We will be able to discuss your needs and find the best solution for you. Include “Blackboard” in the ticket description.